Thứ Sáu, 21 tháng 10, 2011

Rockstar Games is evolving.

I want to take a break from my "top 10" blogs to discuss Rockstar games for a moment. Rockstar Games holds a lot of nostalgia for me. Their first big hit, GTA III, was the reason I bought a ps2 and I bought every GTA game since. Back then GTA was their ticket into fame, infamy, and fortune. But when this genration hit, Rockstar proved they were not a one trick pony.

Red Dead Redemption proved to me that Rockstar was past the childish elements of GTA. It had elements to it that screamed "Rockstar!" but without all the hookers and the innumerable innuendos of the GTA series. That is not to say I dislike those things, they are fun every once in a while but as I grew older I wanted something more than cheap laughs. Read Dead Redemption had more of a deeper story that said a lot about the earlier old west days; about how history back then is not so different from modern times. Red Dead Redemption was like a window into the past and since we don't have time machines, that is a good as it gets.

Im hoping Rockstar will continue this in their upcoming game, LA Noir. La Noir seems a lot like Red Dead Redemption, only set in the 1940s with a classic detective theme. From what I have seen in the trailers. this is a pretty classy game in many ways. The facial capture technology is not only very good but the story seems mature, gritty and engaging. Rockstar games is once again trying to show us a window into a different time. If Rockstar keeps uo this pace, GTA may have to share the fame with a few of its younger brothers.

Im impressed with how much Rockstar games has changed over the years. When you think they can't get any better, they push the boundaries even more by trying new approaches. Developers who try to copy them are always a step behind because no one knows what Rockstar will do next. They are not followers; they are one of the leaders of the industry. I am very excited for LA Noir, but I also want to hear a little bit about Agent pretty soon too. Maybe that will be the cream of the crop. Until then, kudos to you Rockstar, Keep on developing.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét